Thursday, February 17, 2005

Vacuvin results

The Vacuvin does indeed work - to a degree.

First off I immediately vacuum-sealed the cabernet I opened on the first night after pouring myself a glass. Normally you'd like a wine to have some time to "breathe" but when preservation is the goal, the breathing has to be done in the glass.

After pouring a second glass I vacuum-sealed the bottle again and stored it in the fridge. The next night I took the wine out and let it acclimate to room temperature for about forty minutes (it was still chilled but easily within an acceptable range).

That second night the wine was just as good as I remembered it being the first night. I was very well impressed with the Vacuvin. Again I only had the bottle open long enough to pour a glass. I resealed it and returned it to the fridge.

By the third night, last night, the wine was no longer good. Drinkable, but only just. As the bottle empties, the ratio of oxygen to wine increases since the vacuum is only a partial vacuum. A 3/4 empty bottle will still contain enough air to oxydize the remaining volume of wine. It's entirely possible that a half bottle or 3/4 full bottle would survive just fine to the third night.

Still, getting two nights' enjoyment out of a bottle of wine is well worth the minor outlay for the Vacuvin ($9-$13). Cabernets supposedly last the longest while pinots are the most fragile, so it's still possible that the Vacuvin won't work at all for certain wines.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home