Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Audiophilia: The Audio Upgrade Bug Strikes, pt 1

I'm not sure what triggered it, but I'm in the middle of kicking my audio gear up to the next level. Or maybe the next five levels.

Ever since hearing my former roommate's SACD (Super Audio CD) player on his excellent system I've known I'd have to get one eventually. SACDs look like regular CDs but they have very little else in common. It would take too long to explain it, but basically a good SACD doesn't just sound better than a good CD, it sounds remarkable, striking, and uber-realistic.

Thanks to the wonders of eBay and thanks to Sony discontinuing their flagship player from 2003, I will soon be the owner of a Sony DVP-NS999ES.



What used to retail for $1000 can now be had used for under $450. Crazy.

Now if only I had some speakers to go with it...

Stay tuned for Part Two.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home