Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Closonotron?? Dustonetion??

My final paper for my survey class of English Lit from 1660-1832 was very well received by the TA, Sam. However, his handwriting was a bit of a challenge to read. My sister and I spent a shocking amount of time trying to figure out one word in particular:

(click for a bigger view)

Here's the full surrounding text:

(click for a bigger view)
(even bigger: full-size scan 1.14MB)

My sister's best guess was "closonotron" which, sadly, does not exist in the dictionary. My best guess was "dustonetion" which ain't in the dictionary either. And that was with the help of using her pocket magnifying glass (see right).

After about twenty minutes (and much laughing at the absurdity of it) we figured it out. Can you?!


Anonymous Elizabeth said...

keith I think it says "close to one tone." Don't ask me why.
by the way, I'll link to your blog on mine. Je suis une bloggeure aussi.
! :) Elizabeth

Tue Aug 08, 09:25:00 AM CDT  
Anonymous amy said...

hi keith
i give up. i spent a few mins looking at the word by itself & in context(what's the word after the crazy word?), & am giving up, so what is the word?

Tue Aug 08, 12:43:00 PM CDT  
Anonymous amy said...

tell your TA that he needs to improve in his handwriting. Can he read his own writing????? he should of been a doctor. what kind of a teacher is he going to be? he is going to set a bad example to his students.

Tue Aug 08, 12:47:00 PM CDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home