Friday, January 27, 2006

Mozart turns 250

Happy Birthday, Mozart - The child prodigy turns 250.

I had seen an ad on the side of a bus a few weeks back advertising a classical music station that was wishing Mozart a happy 250th birthday.

My first thought was, "holy crap, Princeton is older than Mozart."

During my freshman or sophomore year the school celebrated its 250th anniversary (its bicenquinquagenary - a word I learned that year and have yet to see since). It stunned me that the school was older than this country. The United States is still twenty years off before its bicenquinquagenery. It's difficult to imagine anything in America being older than America.

But being older than Mozart?! In my mind Mozart is of the same era as Shakespeare. I think that's the case for most people, even though we're off by 150 years (Shakespeare was of the late 1500s, early 1600s).

Anyway, happy birthday, Mozart, you youngster.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home