Sunday, January 08, 2006

The people you meet... in the men's bathroom

I was out at a local bar with a friend and excused myself to make a bathroom run. My shoulder was aching a little so I had worn the shoulder sling out that night.

While waiting in line for the bathroom a guy behind me asks, "what did you have done to your shoulder?"

I turn and see this short, scruffy guy who looks familiar. He looks like three-time US Men's Olympic gymnast and silver medalist Blaine Wilson. He's even shorter than I am.

I tell him, "arthroscopic shoulder surgery".

"What was wrong with it?"

"Torn labrum."

Man-who-might-be-Wilson responds, "yeah, I know about that."



I was next in line and a spot opened up so I couldn't continue the conversation (you just can't hold up a line of guys by having a conversation with some dude in the men's bathroom). I didn't see him again after that.

Later I googled Blaine Wilson and found out that since the Olympics he's moved to Hermosa Beach, CA (just down the coast from here) and that in early 2005 he had "another shoulder surgery." And he's listed at 5'4". So I'm pretty positive it was him.

It's too bad I couldn't talk to him more. He's not someone that the average person would recognize at all so it would have been cool to congratulate the three-time Olympian in our midst.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home